Cavan patients at high risk of superbug

Kastus_Master Brandmark_Col_RGB

Patients at Cavan General Hospital are at high risk of infection from the Clostridium difficile superbug, partly due to poor hand washing by staff, according to the State health watchdog.

The Health Information and Quality Authority (Hiqa) demanded the hospital take immediate measures to deal with the problem following an unannounced inspection of two wards in the hospital last month.

C.diff is a bacterial infection that commonly affects people who have been treated with antibiotics. It can cause cramping and diarrhoea and can lead to life-threatening complications in serious cases.

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email
Share on whatsapp